What are the best toys for my gerbil? Should I give my gerbil a toy? Do gerbils even need toys?
All concerned owners have asked these questions before when considering the welfare of their gerbils. After all, gerbils are known to be very playful critters, so it’s only natural to ask about their preferences and needs.
In this article, we’ll answer some of the leading questions regarding this topic and provide a short list of the best toys for gerbils. You’ll definitely want to keep some of these around your beloved pet!
Table of Contents
Quick peek at the Top 5 Gerbil Toys…..
- AuniFo Hamster & Gerbil Chew Toys
- Gerbil fun house
- Silent Runner Wheel
- Living Tunnel System
- Gerbil Maze
Why Do Gerbils Need Toys?
Gerbils are very active critters that need constant input and stimulation from their environment. This includes both physical exercise to keep them healthy and mental exercise to keep them from being bored.
Outside their frequent nap times, gerbils need to have something to occupy them. Without anything to entertain them, they can become restless and even destructive, making a lot of noise and sinking their teeth into anything they can inside their cages.
What Are The Benefits Of Toys?
Toys can benefit gerbils in two main ways.
Firstly, toys can help gerbils achieve their much-needed physical exercise. Since these critters enjoy being active and adventurous, a simple cage is much too bland for your average gerbil.
Even in the wild, gerbils are always trying to get into random holes, exploring new and unknown places, and getting into mischief with their colony. If you keep your gerbil in a home that it deems too tidy, it won’t be long before you start seeing behavioral issues with your pet.
Secondly, toys can help gerbils get constant mental stimulation. Gerbils are very social animals and are always interacting with their fellow critters in the wild. While they’re fine inside a cage with one or more of their kind, it’s still less busy than if they were actually living and playing outside.
Toys can help combat that problem by constantly challenging your beloved gerbil’s mental prowess.
Top 5 Gerbils Toys Reviewed
As you can see, gerbil toys are very beneficial for gerbils, so as a gerbil owner, there’s absolutely no reason for you not to get some. In this section, we’ll provide a shortlist of the top 5 gerbil toys that you can get right now.
1. Wooden Chew Toys
Hamster Chew Toys, Gerbil Rat Guinea Pig Chinchilla Chew Toys Accessories, Natural Wooden Dumbbells Exercise Bell Roller Teeth Care Molar Toy for Rabbits Bird Bunny (2)
- 10 MODELS OF WOODEN CHEW TOYS: The Hamster Chew Toys Kit includes Watermelon Balls, Bell Roller, Dumbbell, Unicycle, Square Molar Block with Rope, Bell Swing, Pine Nuts, Climbing Ladder, Seesaw and Molar String.
- SAFE & NATURAL: The gerbil chew toys are made of natural environmental wood, safety security. The wooden chinchilla chew toys select origin wood, strictly control production process. The small animal chew toys with the taste of the sun, which is more comfortable to use and ensure small pet teeth healthy growth.
- DURABLE MOLAR TOOLS: With exquisite and beautiful shape, after special technology, not only are eco-friendly rat toys, but also are bite-resistant molar tools. This wooden guinea pig chew toys gives your small rodent the perfect opportunity to play and work out! Keeping them healthy and active and helping them play around their environment in a new fun way.
- APPLICABILITY & FUNCTION: The chew toy kit is suitable for Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chinchillas, Hamsters, Gerbils, Rats, Birds, Rodents and other small animals.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: 30 Days Money Back and 12 Months Warranty. If you're unsatisfied with hamster chew toys during the first 30 days, you are eligible to receive a full refund - What are you hesitating? Try the new natural wooden chew toys for your small pets now!
Just like rabbits, gerbils have teeth that are always growing. Because of this, they need to gnaw on something consistently in order to make sure that their teeth don’t grow too long.
That’s where this set of toys shine the most. As advertised, this toy set has 10 different models of wooden chew toys, giving your gerbil a choice of which toy he likes best. We simply love how bite-resistant these toys are, which means that your gerbil can bite each one to his heart’s content without actually making a dent on them.
One other thing: this pack smells like fresh wood and pine cones, something that gerbils dearly love and enjoy. Take it from us – this is something that your gerbil will thank you for.
If you want to keep your gerbil constantly occupied as well as keep his teeth always trimmed down to a healthy length, you should add this to your cart soon!
2. Wooden Hideout
BWOGUE Pet Small Animal Hideout Hamster House Deluxe Two Layers Wooden Hut Play Toys Chews
$14.99 in stock
- Provides small animals with a hideout, promotes nesting and chewing instincts
- All natural wood is safe for animals
- Ideal hide-out for pet rats, hamsters gerbils and sugar gliders(see the measurement below)
- Pet house size: 17 x 7.5 x 15cm / 6.7 x 3 x 5.9inch (L x W x H), hole diameter: 4cm / 1.5inch .Net weight approx.: 220g
- Fully assembled .Double layer design and with feeding trough, besides, it can be folded to save the room when storage.
Flat homes are boring, and nobody knows that better than critters like the gerbil. After all, the more areas there are to explore, the happier their adventurous souls are.
Just take a look at this two-layer hut. It’s got a special hideout for your pet at the first layer as well as another room and even a slide on the second layer. Can you imagine all the fun that your gerbil will be having with this hut? You’ll probably have a hard time keeping him out of this special sanctuary!
Do remember to use a taller than average cage or container if you’re going to put this in with your gerbil. There have been instances of surprised owners coming home to see their gerbils out and about after the critters had too much fun and climbed on the roof. Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
3. Exercise Wheel
Silent Runner 9" - Exercise Wheel + Cage Attachment - for Hamsters, Gerbils, Mice and Other Small Pets
- ✔ SAFE - The axle-free design eliminates a dangerous center bar, reducing the risk of fur/tail entanglement, pet wrap-a-round, curvature of the spine, and other injuries.
- ✔ SILENT - Innovative dual ball-bearings create a whisper-silent spin. Two stainless steel ball-bearings are within the back plate of the wheel, ensuring the wheel glides smooth and silent. The bearings SPIN around the bolt as your pet runs, unlike annoying squeaky wheels on the market that have a center axle that creates friction and noise.
- ✔ SANITARY - Wheel completely disassembles for deep cleaning, no nooks for feces to hide in.
- ✔ IDEAL FOR - Hamsters (Teddy Bear, smaller Syrians, larger Dwarfs / Robos, etc.), Gerbils, Mice, and other similar small animals (not suggested for chewers).
- ✔ FAST, FREE SHIPPING in USA! Avg 3 days! ZooPro sells exotic animal food and accessories that are manufactured by Exotic Nutrition Pet Supply Company. Exotic Nutrition has been the industry leader of exotic animal products since 1998, specializing in sugar gliders, hedgehogs, prairie dogs, marmosets, degus, skunks, opossums, chinchillas, rats, hamsters, gerbils, squirrels, rabbits, guinea pigs, rodents, ferrets, chickens, bluebirds, wild birds, monkeys, marsupials, reptiles, amphibians & more
Is your gerbil looking a bit plumper than usual? If your pet has been spending more time sleeping and eating than being active, then perhaps you need to insert a new toy into the picture.
This exercise wheel is perfect for instances like this. Your adorable critter could just hop onto this and run all his troubles – and excess fat – away. Worried that your gerbil might get too tired and get caught in the wheel? No fretting, this exercise wheel is designed not to trap your pet inside, as it doesn’t have the dreaded center bar where numerous small pets have been banged up before.
It may be a bit on the higher side compared to other wheels on the market, but believe us when we say that it’s worth every dime. It’s silent, steady, and completely safe to use for your pet. What’s not to like?
4. Wooden Tunnel System
Niteangel Natural Living Tunnel System, Small Animal House
- Two storeys house.
- Tower, tunnel and various climbing opportunities.
- Natural wood design.
- Ideal house for mice and hamster.
- Entertainment center of small animals.
A hut is one thing, but a whole entire fortress – now that’s definitely something else!
We present to you this majestic two-storey play place for your adorable gerbil. It’s got pretty much everything your pet needs and more, such as covered areas, an open space ‘rooftop’, wooden slides, a wooden tunnel, even a small wooden bridge connecting the two main areas!
The pieces are detachable so you’re free to customize the look depending on your personal preference, as well your gerbil’s. And while it’s not exactly bite-resistant, your pet’s going to have a hard time taking this one down. One thing’s for sure too: there’s no end to all the fun to be had with this toy!
5. Wooden Maze
Hkim Hamster Maze, Meago Natural Wood Toy with Acrylic Cover Dwarf Mouse Cage Tubes Gerbil Maze for Small Furry Animals (Wood Maze)
$18.89 in stock
- 【Material】:Made of high quality natural wood material and acrylic glass surfaces, non-toxic, safe to use.
- 【Size】: (L*W*H): approx. 25 x 25 x 7cm/9.84 x 9.84 x 2.75 inches. Entrance holes are 1.5 inches in diameter.
- 【Design】: This maze has 16 entrance holes and 13 compartments, perfect for your small animal pet to relieves boredom and increases activity level.
- 【Healthy】:A great furniture decor to your small animal house.while giving him a fun spot to play.
- 【Funny】: Pet's paradise, ideal for hamster, mouse and other small furry animals. Please pay attention to the size before you bid.
Are you thinking of getting your pet something a-maze–ing? Well then, we’ve got just the thing for you!
This toy maze is perfect for all small critters out there that just love to explore and discover new things. Your gerbil will certainly enjoy going through all the holes, trying to find where the next one leads and where the maze ends. If you need something that can both stimulate your gerbil’s mind and body, this is one thing that you should consider adding to your cart.
The only downside to this is toy is that its holes are quite small, so bigger gerbil species as well as some adult gerbils may not be able to fit in. Make sure to check your pet’s size first before purchasing this!
Types Of Toys For Gerbils
Speaking of toys, did you know that there are different kind of toys for gerbils? The kind that your gerbil will prefer the most depends on its personality though, so it’s best to try out different kinds to see which one yours will most take a liking to.
Wheels are essential to any small rodent such as gerbils, hamsters, and guinea pigs. They’re a great way for them to get their necessary exercise sessions despite staying in a small area like cages or containers.
Without exercise, they’re very likely to become overweight or even obese since they tend to eat a lot.
Being the adventurous critters that they are, gerbils absolutely love tunnels. Many owners have noticed their gerbils sleeping inside or hanging out for long periods of times inside tunnels, whether it’s man-made or made by the gerbils themselves.
In the wild, these critters are used to burrowing tunnels for their colony, hence the instinct to like tunnels.
As mentioned above, gerbil teeth are consistently growing, so it only makes sense that they’ll try to control it. Out there, wild gerbils usually gnaw on wood or other hard stuff.
In the care of human owners though, this is best done with chew toys that are safe and, ideally, bite-resistant. Not only will it prevent your gerbil from getting sores due to biting rough things, but it will also prevent your gerbil from accidentally swallowing something that came off from whatever it was biting. If you’re going to use wood, make sure that it’s untreated, as chemicals on treated wood may be harmful to your gerbil.
Gerbils also like climbing. They have an affinity for toys that are high and have plenty of places to step on since that means they could climb as high as possible.
There’s no real reason for it, other than the fact that they’re just curious and adventurous animals. Make sure to use toys that won’t splinter or accidentally cut your gerbil!
Gerbils are also fans of hiding. Again, anything for an adventure, right? That’s why they love toys where they can hide or burrow, away from prying eyes.
They also love huts with hiding places that they can call their own, sort of like a safe haven from the ruckus of the outside world. Provide this sanctuary for your gerbil and he’ll be sure to love you even more.
D.I.Y Toys For Gerbils: Make Your Own Fun
The good thing is that you don’t always have to buy toys for your gerbil. Like most other animals, it’s always function over fashion for gerbils, especially when it comes to their toys. Honestly, they don’t care what the toy looks like as long as it does its job.
Here’s a very short video showing a cool example of DIY toys for gerbils or hamsters.
In this video, they used an old egg crate with holes punched at the top to create a DIY toy. Treats were placed inside as well as some pieces of hay. This is in order to encourage the small critter to burrow inside to reach the delicious reward inside. Talk about simple but effective!
If you do decide to create your own DIY toys for gerbils, just make sure to use materials that are non-toxic and have no tiny parts.
Safety First: Are All Toys Okay For Gerbils?
There’s no such thing as absolutes, and that applies to gerbil toys as well. Not all toys are okay for gerbils, and it’s up to you as the owner to make that discretion.
Commercial toy safety
Obviously, commercial toys that were created specifically for gerbils or other small rodents will be completely safe and okay for your pet. However, there are still a few things that you should be careful about.
For example, even if a commercial toy tunnel was non-toxic and all that, if the hole was too small for your gerbil, it could get its head stuck in there accidentally! Keep in mind that gerbils are naturally curious and adventurous, so a gerbil won’t find a narrow tunnel a detriment to his adventures; instead, he’ll see it as a challenge that he simply has to try.
DIY toy safety
And of course, if you do decide to go down the DIY route, remember to do your due diligence in researching whether your raw materials are guaranteed to be safe for your pet. You wouldn’t want to accidentally harm your pet when all you wanted was for him to have fun.
There are other things that you should avoid as well, such as destroyed plastic pieces, small pieces of cardboard that he could be eating, strings that could accidentally hang him, trip him, or stop the circulation in his limbs, and treated wood. Remember, your pet doesn’t know any better, hence, it’s completely up to you to ensure his welfare.
Dust Baths Are Fun!
Dust baths are a huge thing for gerbils. They love rolling in it, ‘bathing’ in it, and getting their fur rubbing against it.
Knowing this, it’s best if you prepare a specific place for your gerbil to do his dust baths. Luckily, there are commercial bathing huts available that will help contain the mess. You can also just DIY! Use a heavy container like a glass or ceramic dish that won’t move about as your gerbil has his fun.
Don’t forget to replace and clean his dust bath at least once a week for hygiene purposes!
Gerbils Love To Dig
Since gerbils naturally burrow in the wild with their colonies, it’s only natural for them to keep this digging instinct with them even if they’ve been completely domesticated from birth.
Of course, it’s not like you can actually place your gerbil out in the garden to dig, right? The best solution to this is to build DIY toys that have deep beddings on them to create the illusion of having something to dig.
For example, you can use a deep dish and just fill it with hay. This allows your gerbil to dig it up whenever he wants.
Which Toy Is The Best For Gerbils?
There’s no real answer as to which toy is the best for gerbils, but in our opinion, the ‘best’ toy is something that gives your gerbils an option.
In this case, that’s the AuniFo Hamster & Gerbil Chew Toys that includes 10 different chew toys for your beloved critter to sink his teeth into. Plus, it’s more of a need rather than a want for your gerbil. That constant teeth growing needs to be managed, after all. So it’s something that we feel you should consider first before the other products on this list.
Interested to know what other people are asking? Here are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding toys for gerbils.
- Can gerbils play with plastic toys? Gerbils can and will chew anything in their cage. Plastic can splinter and harm your gerbil. We would recommend buying toys for gerbils made from natural materials like wood. Just make sure to use treated wood!
- Do gerbils like to run in balls? If you’ve ever seen a hamster in an exercise ball, you might wonder if your gerbil would enjoy the same experience. To be honest, it’s a hit or miss, both with hamsters and with gerbils. There are some who enjoy it and others who absolutely loathe it. The good thing is that exercise balls are pretty cheap, so you might want to try buying one first and seeing how your gerbil likes it.
- Can gerbils climb up vertical tubes? No, they can’t. Have you seen their limbs? They simply don’t have the capabilities to climb vertically on something that has a smooth surface such as a tube. However, vertical tubes still can’t defeat the strong gerbil spirit. If he can’t climb it, he will absolutely try to chew it.
- Will gerbils chew through plastic cages? Gerbils love chewing, after all, it’s what they do best. While they won’t be able to actually chew through a plastic cage, it doesn’t mean that you’re okay with using this kind of cage as your gerbil’s home. Even if they don’t end up actually eating the plastic, it might still cause some health problems, especially if the plastic is painted or something. Glass containers like aquarium tanks are definitely still better than any wired cage out there.
- Can gerbils chew on toilet paper rolls? They can, but the jury’s still out on whether owners should let their critters play with toilet paper rolls. On the upside, they can serve a dual purpose (chew toy + tunnel), but on the downside, your gerbil might end up eating the pieces that come away from the cardboard.
Conclusion: Best Toys For Gerbils
We hope you enjoyed our comprehensive coverage on the best toys for gerbils. Now that you know which ones are most suitable for your pet, be sure to experiment to see which toys your pet will love and enjoy the most!
- Do Rabbits Cry? Do Pet Rabbits Cry Tears And Why
- Sheltie Guinea Pigs | Diet | Size | Breeding | Housing | Care Guide
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Hamsters: #4 Is Interesting!
- Himalayan Guinea Pig: Diet | Size | Breeding | Housing | Care Guide
- Teddy Guinea Pig Care Guide | Diet | Size | Breeding | Housing