Hamsters are distinguished from other rodents by their little ears, stubby legs and short tails. Adorably, when they eat, they stuff their cheeks, much like squirrels. But what 7 Items must be on your hamster supply list?
Let’s find out.
A little known fact about hamsters is that they are nocturnal. Much like cats, they will still go out of their way to hang out with you during the day. Hamsters are fairly sociable and like to be a part of things, so long as they feel safe.
A well cared-for hamster is sociable, playful, clever and affectionate. They have simple needs, and will reward you with love and entertaining company. Hamsters are highly sought-after as pets, and you can see why!
If you are one of the many looking to welcome a hamster into your home, there are some simple things you must do to prepare.
Following are 7 items that must be on your hamster supply list:
1. First Off Your Hamster Will Need a Cage
The most important things to consider when it comes to a hamster cage are the material, and the size. At the pet store, cages are often much too small, and made of plastic.
Hamsters need plenty of space. They are also inclined to chew anything they are able to, including plastic cages. This in mind, a cage of metal or glass is recommended so that they will not chew. Basically, the bigger the enclosure, the happier your energetic pal will be.
Glass cages for hamsters are typically made from fish tanks. Fish tanks are a great choice, as they come in a variety of sizes, and your hamster will not be able to chew. The ideal size is no less than 40-Gallon tank. However, they do have their drawbacks. You will need to carefully consider where you place you fish tank-Hamster cage. It’s in direct sunlight the temperature can become too extreme and cause harm to your hamster.
A metal cage can also make a fine option. Just make sure that the bars are spaced closely together, so that your hamster does not escape. Hamsters are escape artists. The closer the bars are together, the better, really. Needless to say, as with glass, metal is something hamsters do not find appealing to chew.
A nice, big cage will give your hamster plenty of room to burrow and play. A cage or tank is probably the most costly item on this list, but investing in a quality hamster home is well worth the price.
Plenty of space and a safe place to be are some of the key ingredients to keeping your hamster happy. The tank or cage will also last a very long time if it is a material they cannot chew, saving you money ultimately.
The perfect hamster cage has to be on the 7 must have hamster items list.
Here’s a few suitable Hamster cages – Top 5 Hamster Cages:
Favola Hamster Cage | Includes Free Water Bottle, Exercise Wheel, Food Dish & Hamster Hide-Out | Large Hamster Cage Measures 23.6L x 14.4W x 11.8H-Inches & Includes 1-Year Manufacturer's Warranty
$58.59 in stock
- Hamster Cage Includes 2 Spacious Floors | First floor is a deep 4.75 Height inches to promote playful borrowing w/ a Hamster friendly plastic ramp (no pinched toes!) for easy access to the plastic top level where their food dish, water & hide away preside
- Fully Equipped & Modular Designed Hamster Cage | Favola includes a food dish, water bottle, hide away, 5.5 inch exercise wheel & a connecting port for play tubes to connect to other hamster cages
- Easy Maintenance Hamster Cage | Top panel features an access door & entire wire portion & middle plastic section of the cage disconnects from the transparent base for easy cleaning access
- Large Living Space | Hamster cage measures 23.6 Length x 14.4 Width x 11.8 Height inches, deep base measures 23.6L x 14.4W x 4.75H (approx. 340 sq. inch base), wire top mesh is 1/4 inch wide, exercise wheel is 5.5 inch diameter
- Quality Guarantee | Favola hamster cage includes a 1 Year Manufacturer's Warranty on all parts
Lixit Animal Care Savic Hamster Heaven Metro Cage
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED: the cage comes with lots of accessories including tunnels, exercise wheel, two houses, a penthouse, a water bottle and more.
- HUGE SIZE: The hamster heaven metro cage lets you build a heavenly home for you hamster. The cage measures 80cm x 50 cm x 50cm with 9.5mm bar spacing.
- LARGE BASE: The large lower area ensures your pet will have lost of frolicking and tunneling fun.
- EASY TO MOVE: the cage comes with two large handles so you can move the cage to any location. The large door gives you easy access to your hamster.
- The cage is proudly made in Belgium. Additional tubes are available to customize you hamster house.
MidWest Homes for Pets Hamster Cage | Awesome Arcade Hamster Home | 18.11" x 11.61" x 21.26"
3 used from $43.59
- Fun Arcade Hamster Home features a cool multi level play space to watch your hamster in action 18.11Length x 11.4 Width x 21.5 Height Inches, 6.1 Pounds
- Hamster Home includes FREE accessories to get you started. Exercise wheel, water bottle, food bowl, nesting nook & interior play tubes
- Arcade Hamster Home features a deep base to contain hamster bedding, a convenient top door for easy access to your pet & a removable upper cover for easy cleaning
- Hamster Home is modular in design & includes connector pieces to fit standard play tubes if you want to connect to another hamster habitat
- MidWest Quality Guarantee Hamster Cage includes a 1 Year Manufacturer's Warranty & simple assembly with no tools required
GNB PET Large Hamster Cage & Habitat DIY 20''x12''x15'', with Tunnels Tubes Toys, for Gerbil Mouse Mice, Pink
- Super big habitat and playing areas for hamsters, Teddy bear hamsters, gerbil and exotic pets.
- Included tubes for pet exercising and playing to get the Ulimited DIY fun.
- Plastic base and upper wire net structure with added safety, they are Non-toxic material, safe for your little buddies.
- It' s easy to assemble. And it' s easy to clean thanks to its removable base.
- Extra tunnels available for purchase (search B0792923CZ)
Prevue Pet Products SP2003BLUE Hamster Haven, Small, Blue
2 used from $23.11
- Provide your pet with a safe, active and colorful haven
- Satisfies your small animal's natural instincts to explore and hide
- Tri-level cage features two access points
- Includes platform, slide ramp, hideaway dome and exercise wheel
- Measures 14" Long, 10 1/2" Wide and 16" High
2. Fill the Cage With Bedding to Make Your Hamster Cozy
There are a few materials that can work as bedding nicely. The cheapest and perhaps most popular is toilet paper or (non-scented) tissues, torn to shreds.
Wood shavings will also do. Just be sure to use aspen shavings rather than cedar or pine. Shavings of these types can otherwise get into the lungs of your hamster, as they are very dusty.
Avoid cotton bedding entirely. Cotton can be hard for a hamster to digest, can get caught in their teeth and body, and is generally a risk.
Fill your hamster cage liberally with the hamster-safe bedding of your choice. You will be rewarded with the sight of your hamster enthusiastically burrowing and making little hills and dens. You may even find them buried in the shreds or shavings, sleeping cozy.
Some bedding is not only recycle friendly and ethical but also more hygenic than others.
Here are a few suitable hamster bedding materials- TOP 3 HAMSTER BEDDING CHOICES
Small Pet Select Jumbo Natural Paper Bedding, 178 L
1 used from $37.99
- Ideal Bedding For Rabbits and Guinea Pigs
- 100% Safe - Made In The USA Without Any Harmful Chemicals Additives
- Soft + Comfortable for Your Bunnies and Guinea Pigs, But Still Super Absorbent
- Each Bag Expands 3X In Volume From It's Packaged Size
- Made From Pure Unbleached Never Been Printed Paper
Kaytee Critter Trail Bedding Tray Habitat - 3 /Pack
$10.49 in stock
- Contains soft and absorbent Kaytee Clean & Cozy bedding
- Provides fast and simple cage cleaning
- Fully disposable and recyclable
- Fits standard rectangular CritterTrail Habitats
- Comes in a 3-pack
Carefresh Complete Confetti Pet Bedding, 23 L
- carefresh complete comfort care provides all the features small pet parents care about
- SOFT - Made with comfyfluff
- FRESH - 10 day odor control
- DRY - 2x more absorbent than shavings
- CLEAN - low dust and easy to clean
3. Provide Your Hamster with Food and Water Aplenty
Your hamster should have lots of food and constant access to water every day.
Some opt to feed their hamster a loose hamster food mix. While hamsters do enjoy these loose mixes, they are not the best idea. This is because hamsters are able to leave the pieces they do not like behind, and eat only the bits that are their favorite. The result is all too often malnutrition and even obesity.
A loose mix should be administered only occasionally, as a snack. The far better choice and pellets of a high quality. You can find these at a pet store. As with any pet food, keep an eye out for fillers and the like, and avoid them duly.
You may also treat your hamster with fruits and veggies. Hamsters are known to favor carrots especially. They also like cauliflower, cucumber, broccoli, chicory, bananas, peaches and pears.
Here is a list of suitable foods for your Hamster:
|Carrots||Cauliflower leaves and stalks||Celery|
Administer only a tiny piece of the fruit or veggie. For the herbivorous hamster, fruits and veggies are actually pretty high in sugar, kind of similar to a natural candy. Simply use care, and your hamster is sure to thank you for goodies like these.
While larger rodents tend to prefer a water dish, for hamsters these will not work. This is because they will get bedding and other things in their water dish swiftly. Rather, hamsters should have access to a hanging water bottle, with a spout and ball of stainless steel. This should be changed out frequently.
Entertain your hamster by hiding treats here and there in the bedding, in tunnels, and in hard-to-reach places. Remove undiscovered foods before they go bad, of course. You are sure to be impressed when your clever little hamster sniffs out most of the treats promptly. Unsurprisingly, hamsters delight in this rewarding game.
Note the little food stashes your hamster will doubtlessly create. In nature, they store food for later, so some of these behaviors remain instinctively. This is a charming little quirk.
Here are some of the treats we feed to our hamster-Top 3 hamster treats:
ULIGOTA Crunchy Chew Treats for Hamsters, Small Animal Food and Chew Toy for Gerbils, Rats
- All-natural seeds contain antioxidants that help maintain a healthy immune system.
- Great source of fiber, supports healthy digestion with natural fiber from seeds.
- Larger, crunchy treats, supports dental health through natural chewing activity.
- Ideal for bonding and playtime, chew treats and toy for small furry animals.
- 100% natural & pet-safe for chewing and gnawing. 12 counts in total, came well sealed with a Kraft paper self-sealing bag.
Ware Critter Pops/Rice Pops Small Animal Chew Treats - Large
$1.73 in stock
- Crispy, crunchy chew that is irresistible to small pets
- Wholesome combination of crunchiness and flavor - Made of rice and corn
- Promotes clean and healthy teeth
- Helps overcome cage boredom
- Ideal for hand feeding or fits on the WARE Treat-K-Bob (B000HGB8NA)
Kaytee Timothy Biscuits Baked Carrot Treat, 4-Oz Bag
- Supports Dental Health Through Natural Chewing Activity
- Ideal For Bonding And Playtime
- Makes A Great Training Aid
- Contains No Artificial Colors Or Flavors
- Provides Added Nutritional Variety
4. A Wheel for Exercise is a Necessity
Hamsters are very active creatures, and have a lot of energy. This means that they must have ways to get out their wiggles. One such is a wheel for exercise. An exercise wheel is, in fact, a must-have. This will allow your hamster to run to their heart’s delight, night or day.
Be aware that hamsters are partly nocturnal, and will therefore run at night as well as day. This means that the cage and exercise wheel must be placed somewhere you will not be kept awake.
Really, this is a wise move in any case, as hamsters tend to make little shuffles and squeaks even between exercise. If you are a light sleeper, you will doubtlessly want the cage elsewhere.
If you are not likely to be bothered by small sounds, or if you simply prefer to have your cage nearby, try using a bit of canola oil on the exercise wheel. Sometimes this helps it spin more smoothly and quietly.
A tip is to avoid cross-supports when picking out an exercise wheel. These can catch on the head or neck of a hamster all too easily. Ensure that the running surface is sturdy. This is an item you will particularly want to be of quality.
Once you’ve found the right wheel, place it against the side of the cage. An exercise wheel will assist in keeping the weight of your hamster in check. It will also prevent restlessness, and help make your hamster happy.
Once the wheel is ready to go, watch your hamster run each day. This can be amusing to see. Your hamster will have lots of healthful fun on an exercise wheel.
Alternatively you could buy your hamster a hamster ball. These are small plastic balls with air holes that you can place your hamster inside and seal the ball. They can then run around inside the ball having fun and at the same time exercising.
Here are some great hamster wheels and hamster balls – Top 3 hamster balls:
Hamster Wheel 8" Pet Comfort Treadmill Running Quiet Wheels Large and Easy Attach to Wire Cage for Small Animals Under 3.5 Oz / 100 Grams Weight Syrian Hamsters Rats Guinea Pig Ferret - Premium PP
- ONLY FOR HAMSTERS AND PETS UNDER 3.5 OZ - Comes in 8.3” of a diameter, our sugar glider wheels is ideal for hamsters, gerbils, mice, hedgehogs and other small animals with weight
- NO MORE ACCIDENTAL INJURY - We make our gerbil toys with high-quality, easy to clean, non-toxic PP material to prevent further accidental injury plus it's high enough to not cause any back arching, or to even catch hair, MUCH better and safer than metal wheel! They are sturdy and simply won’t break or crack to ensure the durability that lasts for years and rotating seed stability. There is 3-point seamless button design for more secure and stable.
- QUIET, NON-SLIP, SAFE, AND SUPER THICK DISC DESIGN - Our silent runner wheel has plenty of extra space for your little friend to run. It stands well on the base and can get attached to the side of a cage conveniently. The glider wheel works silently so your pet can exercise and play without making noise at night. Your little fur baby will be more comfortable and less scrunched in our **mouse wheel.
- PERFECT FOR SYRIAN HAMSTER - is the most compliment we got from our satisfied customer. Here is what they said: “Thank goodness! It's hard to find a quiet wheel in this size. This works pretty well”, “Perfect size for a Syrian hamster!” “Our gerbil doesn't want to get out of it”, “Good product, after giving it a try I ordered the second one. The 8.3 inch one is perfect for Syrian Hamsters.”
- 6 MONTHS WARRANTY - Others might sell cheaper product, but only TODAY'S DEALS who gives 6 MONTHS WARRANTY for the hamster toys. Contact us immediately if the nuts or bolts are broken. Give the best protection for your hamster and get yours NOW!
Kaytee Giant Run-About Exercise Ball, 11.5-Inches, Clear
$18.99 in stock
- Encourages healthy exercise in a secure and safe way
- Makes a great temporary holding area to keep your furry friend while you clean their home
- 11 1/2 Inch diameter
- For pet rats and chinchillas
- Fits perfectly with the Hamtrac raceway
Ksruee Wooden Exercise Wheel Mute Hamster Running Wheel Eco-Friendly Pet Toy Wheel for Hamster Mice Gerbil Small Animals
- Ball Bearing- Ensures mute and smooth revolve and effectively prevents the pet from being casting away with better road holding and closed rear wall.
- Sturdy Support- Widened and thickened wood base greatly avoids reversal through providing reliable and stable mount for the exercise wheel.
- Multiple Function- Not only serves as pet toy, but also as exercise and chew toy, offers excellent pet teeth grinding effects.
- Top Quality- Adopts superior wood without chemical process, extra eco-friendly, natural and reliable for your pet with resistance to scratch, abrasion and bite.
- Wide Compatibility- Ideal for hamsters, mouse, rats, and African hedgehog, etc.
5. Your Hamster Will Want a Place to Hide
Even the most sociable hamster will wish for somewhere to hide. This is instinctual, as hamsters live in dens naturally. While some make hamster houses out of various plastic or cardboard containers and boxes, these are not actually the best idea. Hamsters will chew and dirty them quickly.
The ideal alternative is a ceramic hamster house. These can be found online and at the store. Ceramic hamster houses are arguably the best option. This is because your hamster will not be able to chew or damage the house. Ceramic is also fairly easy to clean if it becomes dirty. These can be a fun pick, as there are many cute hamster house designs out there.
You need not offer only a single hamster house. Aside from the primary one, you can include little caves and the like.
Here is a link to some of the best and funniest ceramic hamster houses on Amazon.
6. Keep Your Hamster Happy With Toys
Hamsters delight in all kinds of toys. Chew toys are perhaps the favorite. Hamsters not only enjoy gnawing on these, but they aid in keeping their teeth healthy. This is because, like guinea pigs and many other rodents, hamster teeth always grow. Gnawing and chewing is how they gradually grind their teeth down, to keep them in check. Because of this, chew toys are a necessity.
Along with chew toys, you can include swings, tunnels, ladders, bridges, and more. Feel free to get creative. The more dynamic the cage, the more fun your hamster will have.
Many use cardboard to make tunnels. Replace items like this as soon as they become dirty. You can also use toilet paper rolls, either hung on wires for a makeshift swing, or on the ground for your hamster to roll and hide.
To test the intelligence of your hamster, and to really get the gears in their brain going, construct a maze. Use cardboard to create walls. Cut holes. There are plenty of practical and fun ideas.
Here is some great fun hamster toys – Top 3 hamster toys:
ZALALOVA Hamster Chew Toys, 10 Pack Natural Wooden Pine Guinea Pigs Rats Chinchillas Toys Accessories Dumbells Exercise Bell Roller Teeth Care Molar Toy for Birds Bunny Rabbits Gerbils
- 10 PACK WOODEN CHEW TOYS: Include Bark Watermelon Balls, Bell Roller, Dumbbell, Unicycle, Squared molar block with rope, Bell Swing, Rattan Ball, Climbing Ladder, Seesaw and Molar String.
- NATURAL and NON-TOXIC: High-quality wood origin of wooden chinchilla toys, selected first-class wood, natural sun drying, strict control of dehydration rate, toys with the taste of the sun, which is more comfortable to use.
- MSDS APPROVED: All guinea toys are MSDS approved, this is the first chooice of 2020 New Year gift for your lovely pets.
- DURABLE MOLAR TOOLS: Hamster toys with exquisite and beautiful shape, after special anti-corrosion technology, not only are eco-friendly toys, but also are bite-resistant molar tools, ensure the healthy growth of small pet teeth, wholeheartedly care for your favorite.
- APPLICABLE and FUNCTION: Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chinchillas, Hamsters, Gerbils, Rats, Birds, Rodents and other small pets. Entertainment, decompression and grinding teeth for small pets. Gives your small rodent the prefect opportunity to play and work out!
BWOGUE Pet Small Animal Hideout Hamster House Deluxe Two Layers Wooden Hut Play Toys Chews
$15.99 in stock
- Provides small animals with a hideout, promotes nesting and chewing instincts
- All natural wood is safe for animals
- Ideal hide-out for pet rats, hamsters gerbils and sugar gliders(see the measurement below)
- Pet house size: 17 x 7.5 x 15cm / 6.7 x 3 x 5.9inch (L x W x H), hole diameter: 4cm / 1.5inch .Net weight approx.: 220g
- Fully assembled .Double layer design and with feeding trough, besides, it can be folded to save the room when storage.
Niteangel Natural Living Tunnel System, Small Animal House
- Two storeys house.
- Tower, tunnel and various climbing opportunities.
- Natural wood design.
- Ideal house for mice and hamster.
- Entertainment center of small animals.
7. Hamsters Love Sand Baths for Hygiene and Play
A unique behavior of the hamster is sand-bathing, which they seem to relish. Hamsters use sand baths for fun, and for hygiene. A nice plus of a sand bath is that it will help prevent your hamster from becoming smelly.
Make a sand bath out of a dish that is large, and round; this will give your hamster space to wallow, and prevent them from bumping or wedging themselves in corners. Round dishes are also easier to clean when necessary. Change out the bathing sand in the dish frequently.
So that your hamster does not knock it over or spill the bathing sand, ensure that the dish is also tall and heavy. As with the food dish, choose a bathing dish that is ceramic. This way your hamster will not be able to chew holes.
Choose the bathing sand wisely. Do not mistake this with bathing dust. The latter is comprised of small particles that will get into the lungs of your hamster, which is not good, clearly. Make sure to choose a quality sand, so that it is not dusty.
Some opt for chinchilla sand, though finding this can be tricky.
Here are 3 suitable hamster baths
Kaytee Ceramic Critter Bath
$6.27 in stock
- Made of durable chew proof ceramic material
- Critter-shaped bath house comes in four colors
- For dwarf hamsters and gerbils
SatisPet Hamster Sand Bathroom Large in Blue- Plastic Sand Bath Container with Scoop Hamster Sandbox
$9.12 in stock
1 used from $9.12
- IDEAL BATHROOM FOR YOUR CRITTER: This premium plastic container makes for a perfect sand bath for your hamster. Having such a sand or powder bath is a great way to relieve your pet's stress and naturally clean his fur!
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS: This handy pet hamster sand bath box is made exclusively from high quality plastic. It’s compact, durable and lightweight and contains no toxic or otherwise harmful substances that could endanger your pet’s health.
- PRACTICAL, CLEAN & CONVENIENT: Placing a sandbox in your pet’s environment makes it much easier to maintain it clean and tidy. This handy plastic sand bath container in particular is extra lightweight and designed to fit in almost any pet cage.
- KEEP YOUR FURRY FRIEND HAPPY: Sand baths are not only sanitary and beneficial to your pet’s health, they also offer them a great way to have fun and entertainment! Rodents enjoy digging and burrowing, so this will go a long way in keeping yours happy!
- 100% RISK FREE PURCHASE: At SatisPet we aim for the absolute satisfaction of our customers and their furry little friends. If for some reason you find your pet hamster sand bath set to be subpar, we offer you a 100% money back guarantee!
Hamster Dust Bath House, Plastic Sand Bathroom Container with Scoop Hamster Sandbox Protective Gloves for Small Animals Chinchilla Golden Bears Black Bear Hamsters Gerbil Mouse.
- QUALITY MATERIAL BATHTUB AND GLOVES --- Hamster bathtub is made of premium plastic material. Bite-resistant gloves are made of 100% natural rubber. The material is gentle and it won't hurt small animals. Having such a sand or powder bath is a great way to relieve your pet's stress and naturally clean his fur.
- PRACTICAL, CLEAN & CONVENIENT --- Placing a sandbox in your pet¡¯s environment makes it much easier to maintain it clean and tidy. This handy plastic sand bath container in particular is extra lightweight and designed to fit in almost any pet cage.
- KEEP HEALTHY --- Hamster sand baths are not only sanitary and beneficial to your pet¡¯s health, they also offer them a great way to have fun and entertainment! Rodents enjoy digging and burrowing, so this will go a long way in keeping yours happy!
- IDEAL GIFT FOR YOUR PET --- This premium plastic container makes for a perfect sand bath for your hamster. Your pet will love it right away
Once you have installed the sand bath, you can observe your hamster acting adorably. They will roll in the sand, burying themselves, diving, wriggling, etc. Keeping the sand clean is important; clean sand will likewise clean your hamster nicely.
As you can see, hamsters do not need a lot! Just a cage, some cozy spots to hide, some toys, a place to bathe, a place to exercise, and some love. These things will keep your hamster feeling looked-after and secure. Captivity can truly be a luxury for animals of all kinds when it is done the right way.
Conclusion: 7 Must have hamster items
With the 7 hamster supply list items above, you can create the perfect hamster setup, giving your little buddy the best quality of life.
It is our responsibility as pet owners to provide the best equipment and care for our hamsters and small pets.
Ensuring they have everything they need for them to live a happy life is a part of being a responsible pet owner.