When it comes to feeding your rabbit, hay feeders are extraordinarily useful. They provide a convenient, hygienic place to store food for your rabbit.
With a hay feeder, your pet can access hay that is reliably fresh and clean, whenever they require.
Of course, not all hay feeders are made the same! Some have features that are simply better and more useful.
For example, certain feeders are more durable, easier to clean, and so on.
Some of the best feeders have it all. So, what aspects are most desirable in a hay feeder?
Following is a complete review of the Best Rabbit Hay Feeders featuring the Top 10 Hay Feeders, as well as what to look for!
Here is a quick look at the 10 Rabbit Hay Feeders we tested:
Table of Contents
How To Find The Best Rabbit Hay Feeder?
A feeder will serve to keep hay dry, so it does not become moldy. The feeder will also keep the hay safe from droppings, urine, and the like.
But again, not all hay feeders are crafted equally! Some have aspects that make them extra convenient and effective.
To find the best hay feeder for you and your rabbit, here are some features that you’ll want to keep an eye out for:
Look for a Smooth and Safe Design
Did you know that rabbit skin is extremely delicate and sensitive? These little guys are prone to nicks and scratches that can cause them a lot of discomfort.
Some can even cause them to become sick! Specifically, the cuts will attract parasitic flies, in a condition called Fly Strike. Clearly, you will wish to avoid this risk!
All this in mind, you can see why you would want your hay feeder to have a safe, smooth design. This will protect your bun from accidentally hurting themselves on a sharp corner, nail, or the like.
Find a Rabbit Hay Feeder That is Easy to Remove and Clean
No one wants a hay feeder that is difficult to clean. This is not ideal for convenience, or hygiene. Look for a hay feeder with a simple, easy-to-tidy design.
You will want to empty out the hay feeder and wipe it down 1-2 times a week. Once or twice daily, you may wish to replenish the feeder with hay that is fresh and new.
Pick a Feeder Made of a Durable and Chew-Proof Material
You might have noticed that rabbits love to graze and chew. As touched on above, this serves a couple of purposes: to keep their digestive system running smoothly and to keep their teeth growth in check.
However, rabbits will not know what not to chew!
So, it is important to make sure that the hay feeder is made of a material that is durable and chew-proof, such as hard plastic, or metal.
There Are Versatile Rabbit Hay Feeders Available
Some hay feeders are built with the ability to hold hay and pellets alike. This is a fun, practical way to add some variety to your bunny’s diet.
Like hay, pellets tend to get dirty if they are not stored somewhere special. A hay rack is a perfect solution.
Rabbits Must Eat Fiber Above All
Like us, rabbits have an esophagus, digestive tract, and stomach. They also have a unique organ, which is called the cecum.
For humans and most other animals, fiber has little to no calorific or nutritional value. However, the cecum allows rabbits to extract the maximum nutrients from the material.
As with humans, fiber also serves to keep their digestive system running smoothly, balance their blood sugar levels, and more.
A diet without enough fiber will cause your rabbit to become sick. They will have gas, discomfort, diarrhea, and digestive trouble in general. Not only that, but insufficient fiber intake can also put rabbits at risk of wool block.
Fortunately, hay is readily available! For rabbits and certain other animals, this is one of the greatest sources of fiber out there.
When it comes to keeping your rabbit bright-eyed and in optimum health, a rabbit hay feeder is truly indispensable.
Hay Is Super Fiber-Rich
So, how much hay should your rabbit have? How often? The answer is simple: as much as they wish, whenever they wish. Hay is not something that rabbits can eat too much of!
The food is naturally low in sugar, protein, and other elements that could do them harm.
Hay is rich in fiber and wonderful for your rabbit to munch on.
There is also another reason that rabbits graze on hay, grass, and the like. Chewable foods like this have an important part to play in their dental health.
You see, like many rodents, rabbit teeth are constantly growing. They must chew frequently to grind their teeth down and keep them in check.
Pick out a good hay product, such as Timothy hay.
Check the hay for mold and ensure it is fresh. Load up the hay feeder and allow your rabbit free-range on this super healthy snack!
Niteangel Pet Wooden Hay Manger with Seat, Large Size, 9-7/8'' x 6-3/4'' x 8'' (Plywood)
- The design of this wooden hay manger keeps the hay in place and reduce waste. You can save a lot of hay from being wasted from getting dirty. It will develop a good eating habits for your furry friends.
- The lid keep the hay from getting spoilt. Filling it up is also super easy as you simply flip the large lid up. Your critters can also seat on the lid comfortablely.
- The bars are the perfect width apart so she can easily get to the hay. It can stimulate the exploration and curiosity of your critters.
- It is very easy to install in a cage. There are 2 screws that feed through the wooden back and washer and wingnut to fasten it to your cage.
- Mounting this hay manger with seat on our existing cage wall creats an more animal-friendly living space, it also saves a lot of space.
This Niteangel hay feeder is made of premium Plywood, which is not only allergen and toxin-free but also quite durable. This makes it virtually harmless for your rabbit to chew.
Customers say that the wood is well-sanded and smooth. This makes it nice and pet-friendly. You will not have to worry about your rabbit getting slivers, cuts, or the like.
Also included is a lid, to help keep your curious rabbit from getting into the hay rack. Instead, they can hop on top of the lid, and use it as a fun viewing deck!
This hay feeder is a bit small. You will probably want to use it for a smaller rabbit breed, such as the Dwarf, Angora, Lionhead, or the like.
All in all, the Niteangel hay rack is a decent one. The durability of the Plywood, and its toxin-free nature, are what make it really shine.
- Durable, allergen-free and toxin-free plywood
- Well-sanded and smooth for the safety of your bun
- Has a lid to keep curious rabbits out of the hay rack
- The lid doubles as a viewing deck
- A bit small. Not great for a larger rabbit, best for a little one
- Some particularly adventurous rabbits still manage to get into the top of the rack
STKYGOOD Rabbit Feeder Bunny Guinea Pig Hay Feeder,Hay Guinea Pig Hay Feeder,Chinchilla Plastic Food Bowl (White-A)
- Perfect Hay Feeder: This is a feeder designed for small animals like Guinea Pig, Rabbit, etc.The feeder’s upper layer is a grass rack, and the lower layer is a food bowl ideal for rabbits, chinchillas, guinea pigs or other small animals
- Safer Raw Materials: This hay feeder uses high quality material to ensure your pet baby has a durable, long-lasting feeder
- Humanized Design: The edge of its lower layer is covered by stainless steel, which effectively prevents small animals from biting it. Also, the grass rack is removable so that you can easily clean it
- Humanized Design: The edge of its lower layer is covered by stainless steel, which effectively prevents small animals from biting it. Also, the grass rack is removable so that you can easily clean it
- Dimensions: L*H*W 5.9*7.1*5.9 inches / 15*18*15 cm. Ideal for rabbits, chinchillas, guinea pigs, galesaur or other small animals
This hay feeder is made with a hard-plastic back and a front of steel. The steel protects the areas that rabbits and other critters are most likely to chew.
The hay rack is removable, which is always a handy feature. This makes it easy to clean and take care of.
The top feature, however, is the lower-level bowl. This hay rack gives you not only somewhere to store hay, but pellets and treats as well! Keep all of their food dry, and free of mold, droppings, urine, and the like.
To install this rabbit hay feeder, just use the cross screw. This will connect it to a wire cage. You will not require any tools as the process is quite simple.
Once the hay feeder is set up, you may freely adjust its height to the size and preference of your bun!
- Lower-level food bowl for pellets, treats, and the like
- Loosely-hinged instead of spring-loaded, which can otherwise be a risk
- Steel rim on the front of the lower-level bowl is bite-proof
- Removable bowl (so you can clean it easily)
- Installation can be a bit tricky
andwe Hay Feeder Less Wasted Wooden Food Feeding Rack for Rabbit Guinea Pig Chinchilla – Standing Pet-self Feeding Hay Manage
- Rabbit Hay Manager – Cylindrical Shape hay holder offers hays or grasses to your lovely rabbit, bunny, chinchilla, guinea pigs no matter the angles
- Big Volume Hay Feeder - can easy hold around 0.5Lb hays to feeding your guinea pig or other small animals no matter you are at home or not, give them happy chewing time any minutes as wish
- Easy to refill – The Hay feeder has a removable top cover, it's our unique design which brings your convenience to fill hays. Make sure you turn the top cover around to lock the cover, in case to drop hays out
- Chic Design – It's a modern bunny feeding hay rack, you can put it stand be a hay dispenser where you want. It's also can be a nice decoration for your pet cage, rabbit hutch or playpens due to stylish shapes
- If you have any questions or item has problem when arrival, please feel free to let us know.
This top-notch wooden Cylindrical Stand Feeder with Cover makes a nice change from the brightly colored plastic style we normally see.
It has a very natural look and feel to it, which we really liked.
It can hold a good amount of hay around 0.5Lb hays and was easy to fill with its simple removable wooded lid. The feeder is made from birch wood, which is a safe wood if your rabbit decides to start chewing at the feeder.
- Smooth design with rounded edges, so your rabbit does not cut their skin, which is extremely sensitive
- Easy to fill
- Steady and will not fall over easily
- Natural look
- Sturdy construction
- Birch wood construction
- Can be a little messy when multiple rabbits are feeding from it
Niteangel Grass and Food Double Use Feeder, Wooden Hay Manger for Rabbits, Guinea Pigs (7'' x 6.3'' x5.8'')
This hay feeder has a simplistic design. The feeder is crafted from a natural wood material, which is both toxin and allergen-free.
This means it is safe for your rabbit to chew on (though the hay should hold their attention!).
The Niteangel Grass and Double Use Feeder has both an upper hay rack, and a lower bowl. Little bits of hay that come loose will gather up into the bowl, so less is wasted ultimately.
The bowl can also be filled with pellets, treats, and so on. You can use this feeder to store hay and any other rabbit food and keep it fresh and clean.
The hay feeder also has a free-standing capability. You can either attach it directly to a wire cage, or it will stand on its own. No matter the type of cage, this rabbit hay feeder is ideal!
- Natural wood material is toxin and allergen-free
- Has lower-level bowl for pellets, food, and the like
- Free-standing capability
- Easy to fill
- For a medium-size adult rabbit, this hay feeder is said to be rather small
Rabbit Hay Feeder Bag, 2PCS Guinea Pig Hay Feeder Storage Bag with 3 Holes for Bunny Guinea Pig Chinchilla Small Animal Pets, Made of 600D Oxford Fabric (Gray+Black)
- 1.【Sturdy and durable】The rabbit hay feeder is made of high-quality material, with tight sewing and neat stitching, which is not easy to wear and prevents the hay feeder bag from being torn by rabbit or small pets. It is strong and durable and can be used for a long time.
- 2.【Keep Clean and Reduce Hay Waste】The hay feeder bags for Guinea pig keep the cage area clean and fresh and help reduce hay waste by maintaining an adequate supply of hay in clean and organized hay feeders. Provide a comfortable, clean environment for your small pet or rabbit Guinea pig, and a well-designed hay bag for your cute pet to keep your pet's feeding in order.
- 3.【Easy to use】 No tools are needed, the rabbit hay bag comes with 2 metal hooks, you only need to put the hay in from the top, and then secure it in the bunny cage. It can be connected directly to most small animal pet cages or placed anywhere.
- 4.【Suitable for most small animals】The hay feeder bag is suitable for rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, hedgehogs, pet pigs, etc., which is a useful tool for feeding small pets.
- 5.【Three-hole design】The three-hole design makes the amount of hay in the hay bag very clear, you can find whether the hay storage in the bag is sufficient, it is also easy to replenish in time,and supply 2~3 rabbits to graze at the same time, easy to control the amount of hay to let your rabbits have enough hay, and keep the small pet in order while eating hay.
This rabbit hay feeder is for mild chewers; moderate to heavy chewers should stick to plastic, wood, or the like.
Another handy aspect of this feeder is that it comes in small, medium, or large, for critters of any size.
A common complaint about hay feeders is their inadequate hay capacity. You will not have that worry here!
- Extra gentle on animal gums and teeth
- Available in a lovely blue color
- Spacious, so you will not often have to refill
- Not built for heavy-chewers, as it is a soft material
Hay Food Bin Feeder, Hay and Food Feeder Bowls Manger Rack for Rabbit Guinea Pig Chinchilla and Other Small Animals (Blue)
- * Pefect for Feeder : This Pet Feeding Bowls adopts cross screw fixed design, can be easily fixed in the wire cage box in any place, and can adjust the height, it is very convenient for small animals to eat food.
- * Dual-use : The pet feeding bowls's upper layer is a grass rack, and the lower layer is a food bowl,saving space. Ideal for rabbits, chinchillas, guinea pigs or other small animals. Dimensions:H*W*L 5.9*7*5.9 inch/15*18*15 cm
- * Sturdy & Durable : The hay feeder is made of hard plastic and is durable. The metal encapsulation design on the front can effectively prevent animal bites.
- * Easy cleaning : The middle compartment can be removed for easy cleaning.
- * After-Sale Service : We are committed to creating the best customer service of Hay Feeder. If you have any questions or complains for our product, please feel free to contact us. Our team will reply you within 24 hours and solve issues as soon as possible.
The SunshineBio Hay Food Bin Feeder is another convenient rabbit hay feeder that can connect to any wire cage directly.
The feeder is height-adjustable, so you can customize for your bun. You can also add some personality to their cage with two color options to choose from: blue and pink.
To make it nice and easy to clean, the middle compartment is removable.
The hay feeder is crafted from quality hard plastic, which is super-durable. There is a metal front on the rim. This serves to help discourage your rabbit from chewing the feeder itself.
The SunshineBio hay feeder is a bit on the small side. This makes it ideal for little rabbits and other small critters like guinea pigs, hamsters, and the like.
- Height-adjustable, for the comfort of your individual bun
- Made of a durable, quality plastic material
- Metal rim that is bite-proof
- This rabbit hay feeder is rather small, fine for one rabbit
- Because of its small size, the bars are closely spaced. For some critters, this can make pulling hay out difficult!
Small Pet Select Hand Made Hay Manger, Small
- Made with NO glues, No screws, NO nails – just safe wood, and safe rope
- Works well over a litter box
- Size: Small
- The Package Weight Of The Product Is 2.0 Pounds
This lovely, rustic-looking rabbit hay feeder is crafted from untreated, kiln-dried pine. The rabbit hay feeder is free of glue, screws, and nails, for the safety of your bun.
This feeder is unique in that you hang it from the cage, while most utilize a cross screw or latch design.
You can hang the hay well above your rabbit so that they can reach it, and there is no rack for them to get stuck in.
The rabbit hay feeder hangs from rope that is soft and toxin-free. Stock this feeder and treat your rabbit to dry, clean hay that they can pull down at their leisure.
It is available in two sizes, to suit any rabbit: large, and small.
- Untreated, kiln-dried pine is toxin and allergen-free
- Free of screws, nails, or glue
- Hangs from a rope, which is very unique
- Your rabbit cannot get inside, or stuck
- Only a rack. No bowl
M-Aimee Plastic Cage Feeder Food n Water Hay Bowl Dish for Rabbit Guinea Pig Chinchilla Hamster Ferret (Blue)
The M-Aimee Plastic Cage Feeder Food n Water Hay Bowl Dish is made of a non-toxic plastic that is super-durable. To further reinforce the feeder, it also has a smooth edge of steel.
This will discourage your rabbit from biting anything but hay, pellets, or the like.
This rabbit hay feeder can be attached to any wire cage, with a snap-lock bracket system. The feeder is sturdy and slide-proof.
The M-Aimee Plastic Cage Feeder Food n Water Hay Bowl Dish has an especially generous capacity. Two rabbits can even eat side-by-side!
This also decreases the amount you will have to refill. Finally, this rabbit hay feeder is easy both to snap on and take off.
- Made of non-toxic plastic
- Front bowl metal rim is bite-proof
- Slide-proof feature
- Super-big capacity. You will not have to refill as often
- Two rabbits can eat side-by-side
- Attachment is easy to snap-on and snap-off
- Due to its large size, rabbits have been known to get inside. They may even become stuck
Legendog Hay Feeder Creative Multipurpose 2 in 1 Hay Rack Cage Feeder Rabbit Feeder
- Design: This pet feeder is steel-edged to prevent your pet chewing
- Material: Made of high quality plastic and stainless steel, durable for use
- Function: Hay manger can help reduce hay waste and protect hay from urine or feces
- Application: Hay feeder is ideal for rabbits, chinchillas, guinea pigs and other small animals
- Size: L*W*H: 15*15*18cm(5.91*5.91*7.08in)
This adorable rabbit hay feeder is available in three pastel colors: blue, yellow, and pink. Style options like this are always fun, as they allow you to add some personality to your cage.
Choose the shade that best suits your bun.
The Legendog Hay Feeder Creative Multipurpose 2 In 1 Hay Rack is crafted from high-quality plastic, with a bite-proof stainless-steel rim.
You will not have to worry about your rabbit chewing the rack!
The rabbit hay feeder features an upper hay rack and a lower food bowl. Versatile hay feeders like this allow you to keep pellets and hay clean, and more.
- Color options so you can customize
- 2 in 1. Includes both a rack and a bowl
- Stainless steel rim is bite-proof
- A bit small
Mkono Hay Feeder Less Wasted Hay Rack Manger for Rabbit Guinea Pig Chinchilla
$13.59 in stock
- Best hay feeder for your baby pet. Special designed metal grate holds hay in place and keep a generous supply of hay in a clean, organized bin style feeder. Above all, it would make hay to minimize waste.
- Made of hard and quality plastic and metal, non-toxic, durable and last long. This pet feeder is steel-edged to prevent your pet chewing.
- Connects directly to any wire cage. Also you can place it anywhere your little animal prefers.
- Dimensions: 5 1/2inch length, 3 1/2inch width, 7 3/8inch high. The hay feeder have back lock and its diameter approx 5/8in, please pay attention to the measurement picture and check your cage size whether it fits or not.
- Ideal for rabbits, chinchillas, guinea pigs, galesaur or other small animals. Mkono is a registered trademark and our product is professional manufacturing and sole selling.
The Mkono Hay Feeder Less Wasted Hay Rack holds hay in with a metal grate.
The bars are carefully spaced for your rabbit to easily access hay, without becoming stuck. You can connect this rabbit hay feeder to any wire cage; the handy knob will do the trick!
The hay feeder is made of quality plastic that is very durable. There is also a metal rim that is chew-proof, located on the bottom-front of the rack.
The main downside to the Mkono Hay Feeder is that particularly adventurous buns may get stuck within the rack.
- Knob attachment is nice and simple
- Hardy plastic material
- The metal rim on the bowl is bite-proof
- Knob can be somewhat tight initially. Said to loosen over time
- Adventurous buns may be able to get inside the rack
How to Make Your Own D.I.Y Hay Rack
How to Use A Hay Rack?
Most hay racks are very simple to install and fill. Most are wall-mounted or free-standing and can simply be filled from the top. Some have lids that clip or screw closed.
Attach the feeder to your hutch or cage as directed, stock it with some fresh hay, and it is ready for your rabbit to enjoy!
RABBIT HAY FEEDER FAQ
Can Automatic Rabbit Hay Feeders Hold Salads?
Yes, especially if they have a bowl. Just make sure not to leave leftover salad behind for too long, or it will begin to rot! You can also put wet food in the bowl if it is removable (so that it can be cleaned afterward).
Can I Use An Automatic Feeder in a Playpen?
That depends on the automatic feeder in question. Some require a metal cage. Others can hang from the top of any cage, or even stand on their own. See what your options are.
Are Rabbit Hay Feeders Spring-Loaded?
Some are, and this can pose a risk. Fortunately, there are plenty of safer, loose-hinged alternatives out there. Just take a look!
How Long Will The Hay Last in a Feeder?
That depends on the feeder size. The bigger the rabbit hay feeder, the longer the hay will last, simply.
Is Timothy Hay Bad For Rabbits?
No, quite the contrary! Timothy Hay is quite nutritious for rabbits, as it is both low in sugar, and fiber-rich. Feel free to keep your rabbit hay feeder in stock!
Our Winner: The AndWe Wooden Cylinder Hay Feeder
There was a tough choice to be made, here. STKYGOOD Rabbit Feeder was our runner-up, with its hardy plastic and steel design and ease of use it was a good hay feeder suitable for any pet rabbit.
However, the AndWe Hay Feeders is simple, durable and easy to fill! It was so easy to fill and place inside a cage and could even be used in an outside rabbit run.
Wood is also considered to be the safest, least toxic material for rabbits in general. In fact, there are many wooden toys available for rabbits to chew on.
This rabbit hay feed is made of birch wood of the highest quality.
A common issue that folks have is their rabbit hopping into the hay rack. They will not only potentially leave droppings, but they can also become stuck.
The AndWe Hay Round Hay Feeder is the solution!
This rabbit hay feeder is free-standing, allowing your rabbit to pull hay through the holes, while the opening is far out of their reach. The hay will remain clean, dry, and fresh
Conclusion: Best Rabbit Hay Feeders
Throughout this review, we tested and looked at dozens of hay feeders, some hi-tech and some very low tech and one thing is for sure. Simple is best!
Your rabbit does not care what their hay feeder looks like or how complicated it is to fill and even clean.
Hence, we found the simplest one worked the best for our needs and can be used in all types of hutches and cages.
Whichever one you choose, ensure that you only fill it with the freshest and best quality hay you can find.