When is comes to building or buying a home for you beloved Hamster there are a few options for you. But whichever one you choice you should always go for the best hamster cage possible.
There are only two real options for you when it comes to creating the perfect home for your hamster.
- Build your own
- Buying a pre-made cage
Both options come with pros and cons and it can only be your decision to build or buy really. I’m terrible at building or being creative so my option it so always buy pre-made.
However, let us look at some suitable options for you whether that’s build or buy.
In a hurry? Here are some Pre-Made options for you before we review our favorite the Living World Deluxe Habitat
- Living world Deluxe habitat – Amazon ↗️
- Prevue 528 Cage – Amazon ↗️
- Ferplast Favola – Amazon ↗️
- 40 Gallon Glass Aquarium – Amazon ↗️
- Large Clear Storage box – Amazon ↗️
Table of Contents
Build your own Hamster Cage
The preferred choice for many hamster owners is to build or create their own living space for their Hamsters. The main reason for this is to create a large living space or too be more specific a large live floor area.
With a little bit of imagination you can easily create a large, fun and adventurous home for your hamster. And the most important things, a safe home.
Far too many pre-made cages that are sold online are either too small or simply dangerous for hamsters. Climbs that are too steep, tubes that are too small or too big and an overall living space under 450 square inches.
These are the most recommended by Facebook Hamster groups and professional hamster breeders.
But even these are only suitable for one or two maximum.
This is why many people choose to build or make their own. When it comes to making your own the quickest and easiest solution is to use an aquarium. A plain glass 40-50 Gallon aquarium.
These offer the height to be able to make a second level or den safely inside and has enough room to allow your hamster to get enough exercise and room to play. Another added bonus is the fact that they cannot chew through the glass. And as we know Hamsters love to chew!
Clear storage box
Another widely popular solution is to use a clear storage box. A storage box around 29 in – L x 17in – W x 13in holds around 95 Quart / 89.9 Liter Load capacity. This is a good size container to house a Hamster and again they can’t chew through the plastic.
You’ll have to make some adjustments to the lid of course, hamsters need to breathe! But a simple mess screen would be ideal on top or you may be able to fashion something from the lid that is supplied with the container.
But as I alluded to earlier I’m terrible at making things like that so I always opt for the easier way and that’s to buy the best Pre-made hamster cage I can.
What to look out for when purchasing a hamster cage?
Before we get into reviewing the Living World Deluxe Habitat for hamsters lets take some time to look at the things you need to know and think about before purchasing a new hamster cage.
- How and where will you supply water and food
- Where will the cage be placed? Can it hold the weight
- How big does the living space need to be
- How wide is the bar spacing?
- Cost, what is your budget
- How many hamsters do you want to keep
- How easy is the cage to clean
- Can you fit toys and fun things in the cage
As you can see there are many things to consider before purchasing a new hamster cage. But the simple fact that space and a large surface area should be your number one concern.
The more space you have the easier the questions above are to answer. Maybe apart from ‘ Where will you place the cage?’
Something that is often overlooked. You may be able to get into the cage, tank or container but can the person caring for the Hamster daily. May be that’s a young person?
Either way your cage or living environment needs to be easily accessible and easy to clean and maintain.
May cages like the Living world Deluxe Habitat have a hinged cage lid to make access easier.
Living world deluxe Habitat Review
Let’s take a close look at one of our choice for a great hamster cage for you to purchase online and have delivered directly to your door.
Living World Deluxe Habitat, Large
$123.37 in stock
4 used from $95.56
- Versatile Habitat: Living World Deluxe Habitat provides everything you need for safely housing pet rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, ferrets, and more. The hybrid cage provides a safe, well-ventilated and comfortable place for small pets.
- Hybrid Design: The hybrid cage consists of an upper wire frame and plastic bottom base. Wire frame is elegantly styled, with an arcing red wire top and white wire sides. Top opens easily for easy access, with a wire door at the front.
- Safe Environment: Living World Deluxe Habitat includes a balcony with an access ramp, a tip-proof food dish that secures to the balcony floor, and a hideaway space under the balcony to provide your small pet with a quiet and secure hiding place.
- Additional Features: Deluxe Habitat comes with a drip-proof water bottle and a hay guard, both of which are located outside the cage to save interior space and allow easy maintenance access.
- Easy Assembly: Cage assembles in minutes using four easy-to-use plastic clips-no tools required. Measures 37.8 L x 22.4 W x 22 H inches.
The Living world deluxe habitat range comes in three sizes.
Although these are listed for Guinea Pigs these cages are fine for Hamsters and Guinea Pigs and other small pets.
This cage is what is know as a hybrid cage, consisting of an upper wire frame and a plastic bottom base, provides a safe, well ventilated and comfortable place for hamsters.
The wire cage is designed to resist chewing, with an arching red wire top and white wire sides. The cage lid easily opens for access inside and there is a wire door at the front for additional accessibility making it easier to remove and play with your hamster or perform daily cleaning duties
The Living World Deluxe Habitat includes a balcony with an access ramp and a tip-proof food dish that secures to the balcony floor.
The hideaway space under the balcony provides your small pet with a quiet and secure hiding place. The Living World Deluxe Habitat comes with a drip-proof water bottle and a hay guard, both of which are located outside the cage to save interior space and allow easy maintenance access.
This cage has been well thought out and in our opinion win for its easy to remove and to clean base pan.
Cleaning out a pets cage has to be the worst thing about owning a small pet. Especially if it’s kept in your home. Waste products and messy bedding material gets everywhere. But not with this cage, as the large pan base can be easily detached from the rest of the cage wire. This makes cleaning easier and less messy.
Here are a few more options for pre-made cages that may be suitable for your space and budget.
Conclusion: Living World Hamster Habitat
The choice is your when it comes to providing a suitable home for you hamster. The cheapest and fun method it to purchase a large clear storage box and make your own or similarly a large empty fish tank.
But if you’re like me and just want to quickly get a suitable hamster cage then I would suggest the Living World Deluxe Habitat cage and why now when it’s on Amazon with fast delivery straight to your door.